Hello everyone! :D
This is going to be the last post in this blog.
Today, we will go through a quick and simple reading on INTERNET INFRASTRUCTURE
Internet Infrastructure is a hierarchy of network:
- From single computer to LAN
- From LAN to ISP (Internet Service Provider)
- From ISP to WWW (World Wide Web)
In order to connect all of these, you need:
- web browser
- internet access
Next, let's take a look at INTERNET PROTOCOL (IP)
- IP provides a common layer over dissimilar network.
- It is also a standard protocol to connect LAN.
- It also functioned to move packet among host computer through gateways
- Every computer assign unique IP adress.
The IP adress:
- Divided into 2:
- Identifying the network
- Identifying the node/host
- Consist of 32 bits
- Shown as 4 octets of numbers from 0-225 represented in decimal form instead of binary.
eg: 10101110 = 1 octet (8 binary)
eg: 126.96.36.199 = Decimal form (4 octet = 32 binary)
- Class of addresses determines which part belongs to the network address and which part belongs to the node.
- All nodes on a given network share the same network prefix but must have a unique host number.
CLASS A NETWORK
- Binary starts with 0
- Decimal number can be anywhere from 1-126
- The first 8 bits identify network
- Other 24 bits indicate the host within the network
CLASS B NETWORK
- Binary starts with 10
- Decimal number can be anywhere from 128-191
- The number 127 is reserved for loop back and is used for internal testing on the local machine
- First 16 bits will identify the network
- Other 16 bits indicate the host
CLASS C NETWORK
- Binary starts with 110
- Decimal number can be anywhere from 192-223
- The first 24 bits identify the network
CLASS D NETWORK
- Binary starts with 1110
- Decimal number can be anywhere from 224-239
- This type of network usually used to support multicasting.
CLASS E NETWORK
- Binary starts with 1111
- Decimal number can be anywhere from 240-254
- Used for experimenting
- Never been documented or utilized in a standard way. (-__-")
DOMAIN NAME SYSTEM (DNS)
It is a type of internet service that translate domain names into numerical address.
Eg: www.yahoo.com => into 188.8.131.52
Why use DNS? = It is easier to remember because the names are alphabetic :D
INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDER (ISP)
The ISP is the company that will provide the internet service to public.
- Example of ISP in Malaysia is like the one for broadband;
- TM Net
- Celcom Broadband
- Maxis Broadband
HYPERTEXT TRANSFER PROTOCOL (HTTP)
HyperText Transfer Protocol is the underlying protocol used for the World Wide Web.
- It defines how messages are formatted and transmitted.
- Determine what actions should be taken by Web servers and browsers to response to various commands.
HTTP also called as a stateless protocol because each command is executed independently, without any knowledge of the commands that came before.
That is why it is difficult to implement Web sites! :O
That is all for now. Till then, I'm going to miss Dr Dayang so much. She is so warm and cheerful all the time. I hope our path will intersect later in the future.
Have a sweet day, all!